Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Effect of phenylalanine

Positive effects:
  1. Slightly increased energy
  2. Good erections, increased sensation of penis while penetrating and ejaculating
  3. Reduction of anxiety
  4. Less rigidity in the muscles
Negative effects:
  1. Unsteadiness while walking - It could be due to worsening of existing vertigo also.
  2. Increased BP (145/100) - this normalized to 130/90 - 120/84 after few months
  3. Presyncope (feeling like about to faint) - This also could be due to existing vertigo
  4. Bass tone of voice increased - earlier my voice used to be softer without much bass.
  5. Worsened stuttering - I experienced a new form of stuttering which i never experienced before in my lifetime. When I am talking for few minutes continuously, suddenly a blank pause appears in my speech. At that time I am not able to initiate any sound from my throat. After 5 seconds of unusual pause only I could make any other sound. It does not occur in the starting of the speech. It always occurs after 10-20 minutes of speech. Very embarrassing condition.
The side effects indicate that phenylalanine is affecting my basal ganglia especially my striatum which controls the motor coordination of speech. It may not be the effect of phenylalanine in other depressed individuals. My dopamine system may be heavily damaged due to my stuttering. So, it now responds differently to phenylalanine.

Genetic Control of Phenylalanine and Tyrosine Biosynthesis in Neurospora Crassa. Offprint from: Genetics, vol. 62, 1969.Dietary Phenylalanine and Brain Function

No comments:

Post a Comment