Search This Blog

Monday, September 17, 2012

Reasons of blurred vision and profuse sweating

After taking sertraline, I am getting blurred vision frequently. Sometimes cannot read the fine print and labels on the shopping items. Also cannot work long time seeing the laptop monitor. Also, I get muscle fasciculation or muscle twitch on my eyelids and sometimes on muscles around the eye.

From Wikipedia, I got the following information.

The iris contains two sets of muscles:


The muscles regulate the amount of light entering the eye. The sphincter pupillae is stimulated through muscarinic receptors by the parasympathetic nervous system. The dilator pupillae is stimulated through noradrenergic receptors by the sympathetic nervous system.

Alterations are produced by muscarinic antagonism in two muscles: inhibition of iris sphincter muscle causes mydriasis, while relaxation of ciliary muscle produces ciclopegia.

It may be possible that, sertraline might have decreased acetylcholine in the eye muscles possibly due to its increased dopaminergic activity. However, I did not observe this effect with bupropion. So, the another possibility is that sertraline might have decreased noradrenaline which might have caused the imbalance in eye accommodation. I also feel less sweating with sertraline which I did not observe with fluoxetine or bupropion. Hence, in my case, profuse sweating might be the due to increased noradrenaline levels and blurred vision is probably due to decreased noradrenaline levels. Further research is required on this.

Update on 6 October 2015:

Effect of folic acid and methylcobalamin

During the last few months, I was having blurred vision after lunch and even after mild exercises. I was not able to read fine print and medicine labels for most of the time. I was not able to see computer monitor for long time and work. I took folic acid 1.25 mg and methylcobalamin 250 microgram and vitamin C 500 mg for few days. This combination almost cured my blurred vision. Now, I am able to read fine print (but not very fine print in the medicine labels), see computer monitor for long time and work. No blurred vision. It appears that I may have some fault in the absorption or processing of folic acid or cobalamin. I need to explore it further. After taking methylcobalamin, my finger pain also reduced very much suggesting the fault in processing of cobalamin.

No comments:

Post a Comment