Search This Blog

Friday, November 28, 2014

Effect of folic acid and methylcobalamin

For the past 4 months, I am not taking any supplements of modern medicine since I am taking the Siddha medicine supplements for reducing my increased LDL-C levels. These Siddha medicines produced the following effects:

Positive effects:
1. Decreased blood pressure - from 140/90 ~ 90 bpm pulse to 100/70 @ ~80 bpm pulse.
2. Stabilized mood with positive thoughts
3. Reduced stuttering while lecturing.

Negative effects:
1. Excessive tiredness
2. Lack of libido
3. Erectile dysfunction
4. Very low motivation - Unable to start any work
5. Impaired working memory and slow thinking- need extensive thinking and planning to do simple things
6. Unable to focus deeply on research papers or experiment
7. Increased LDL-C from 4.3 mg/dl to 4.6 mg/dl in 2 months time
8. Reduced capacity for exercise

Since, these negative effects have affected my progress in research, I was forced to consult a psychiatrist who prescribed escitalopram (10 mg o.d.) and folic acid (5 mg b.i.d.). I avoided taking escitalopram because I believed that any SSRI will lower my energy and ability to focus. Since I had a good experience with folic acid before, I took folic acid 5 mg, b.i.d. (one in morning and one in night). I took this folic acid along with the siddha medicines. First few days, no difference was there (probably due to deficiency of folic acid). After few days, I felt more energy and upliftment of mood and happiness. But in a week time, I developed redness and irritation in eye, severely affecting my on-screen reading. Then, I stopped taking all those siddha medicines and folic acid. Within few days, all the eye issues disappeared. After a week time, all my brain fog, tiredness and unable to focus reappeared. I thought to give a try this time with methylfolate. I took 3.25 mg of methylfolate in the morning and 3.25 mg in the night. Within few days, the eye issues reappeared forcing me to stop the folic acid.

Then, I started thinking about the methylation reactions in the body. I suspected there might be some problem with the methylation pathways in my body. Hence, I decided to give a try with methylcobalamin


Pharmacokinetics of methylcobalamin tablets VITAXON (CCL Pharmaceuticals)

Composition

Each film coated tablet contains
Mecobalamin J.P.  500 mcg

Vitaxon tablet (Mecobalamin) after single oral administration of 120-1500 mcg acquires dose-dependent peak plasma level within 3.0 hours. 40-80% of the dose is excreted in urine in first 8 hours. Repeated oral administration of 1500 mcg for 12 consecutive weeks the serum concentration increased for the first 4 weeks reaching a value twice as high as the initial concentration followed by a gradual increase reaching a peak at approximately 280% of the initial value at the 12th-week. The serum concentration declines after 12 weeks to approximately 180% of the initial 4 weeks level after the last administration.

Source:

http://www.cclpharma.com/images/productfile/0K3UP8jsdU.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment